12-16-2015, 08:44 PM
Flying dreams are one of the top 10 dream themes reported by dreamers and may symbolize feeling "high", being happy in general or feeling good about something specific in waking life.
- Interpretations of flying dreams
Dreams of flying may represent high hopes; feeling that nothing can hold you down or keep you from reaching your goals; and could indicate that you are feeling in control of your life and your emotions. Usually a sense of euphoria or freedom is felt when flying in dreams, perhaps signifying you have freed yourself of a sticky situation or have achieved a recent goal. Freud saw flying as representing sexual release.
- Dreaming you are airborne may indicate you are reaching new heights or levels of achievement in your career or you may be reaching higher levels of spirituality or consciousness; may also represent attaining or reaching for your high ideals or goals in life.
- Alternately, flying may be compensating for a lack of freedom in waking life or may suggest you are overlooking or avoiding something. It may also suggest that you need to see things from a higher perspective or to look at the big picture. While flying you may also be looking down on or feeling negatively about something or someone, possibly yourself.
- Having Trouble Flying in Dreams
Finding yourself able to fly only a few feet off the ground in dreams may be an indication that something is holding you down or holding you back in life or something is preventing you from reaching a goal. It may also symbolize a fear of succeeding or a fear to express yourself.
- Dreams about flying into wires or losing control may symbolize concerns and anxieties about the completion of a waking life goal or project or may be suggesting that you are focusing on things that could go wrong in life.
These are some common idioms related to flying that may or may not make sense in the context of your dream. You may think of others which can help you determine what your flying dream means to you.
- • Fear of Flying (a 1973 novel by Erica Jong about a woman exploring her sexuality)
- • Off to a flying start (having a very successful beginning)
- • With flying colors (easily done)
- • Flying high (very successful; feeling very happy or satisfied)
- • Flying by the seat of your pants (making it happen by pure luck and/or intuition)
- • Flying in the face of someone or something (going against the norm or opposite of what is expected or accepted)
- • Flying off the handle (losing your temper)
- • Straighten up and fly right! (Improve your attitude and performance)
- • Flying blind (to have no help, directions or instructions)
- • How are you are feeling when you are flying?
- • What you are flying over?
- • Where are you flying to and/or from?
- • What were you doing just before you started flying?
- • Are you looking up or down while flying?
- • Are looking in front of you or behind you?