12-16-2015, 08:27 PM
Family members in a dream can mean many different things. They may simply be themselves and the dream may be dealing with some aspect of your family life or your relationship with these family members. Consider the dynamics and interpersonal relationships within the dream and how they may be different from waking life. There may be an important lesson to learn about yourself and/or your relationship with your family.
- Family members may also be representing aspects of yourself. For instance, your mother may be representing your own maternal instincts and your father may represent the authoritarian or the aspect of yourself that tells you what you should do. When you dream of your parents, siblings and cousins, etc., ask yourself what trait or characteristic comes to mind when you think about them – they may be representing this aspect of yourself or be telling you that you need to incorporate this aspect into yourself.
- Depending on your relationship with your family, dreaming of your family may represent security, warmth and love; or bitterness, jealousy, and rivalry. Think of the dynamics of your relationships in the dream and where similar dynamics may be playing out in your waking life.
- Family in dreams may be bringing you back to a specific time in your past. In this case, something probably occurred in waking life recently that is bringing the past to the forefront of your conscious or unconscious. It’s not unusual to have dreams about your family when you are anticipating seeing them, after a recent visit and around holidays, birthdays and anniversaries. It may be that you feel so loved afterwards that your unconscious is making the most of that feeling; or it may be that some unfinished issue from the past has been dredged up and the unconscious is offering the opportunity to identify it and heal it. For instance, old jealousies, hurts and rivalries may pop up as you reminisce about the past.
- “Family” may also be a pun on “familial” or “familiar” and the dream is pointing out something that you should be familiar or comfortable with.
- Explore the meaning of the specific family member for more insight.
- Death of Family Members in a Dream
Dreaming of a family member dying does not necessarily mean that they are going to die in the near future. While such dreams can be precognitive, in most cases they are not. As mentioned above, the family member may representing an aspect on yourself, and so dreaming of them dying is an indication that you are undergoing some changes and the aspect of yourself that they represent is “dying” or is no longer needed within you; or the relationship is changing and you are no longer seeing them as they once were.
- Someone Else’s Family
Dreaming of seeing or being with a family that is not your own may be showing you a different family dynamic than your own, which may be providing you a learning experience. Consider how the family members interact with each other and with you. How different is this from your own family relationships?
- Dreaming of being with someone else’s family may also suggest there is an aspect of you that is jealous of this person and desire what he/she has. Consider what is missing in your life or within you that this person has?
These are some common idioms related to family that may or may not make sense in the context of your dream. You may think of others which can help you determine the interpretation of your dream about your family.
- • In the family way (pregnant).
- • Black sheep of the family (the one that behaves the worse or that embarrasses the family).
- • Like one of the family (someone you treat as a family member but is not blood related).
- • It runs in the family (a characteristic or trait that most family members have).
- • What is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of this family member? Is this something that I can identify within me or is it something that I would want to have more of within me?
- • Is my relationship with this family member different in the dream then it is in waking life? If so, could the dream be showing me a way to improve or heal the relationship?