12-16-2015, 07:03 PM
The clothes you wear in dreams may represent the side of yourself that you choose to show the world; your outer personality or Persona. Consider the parts of the body that are being covered up or revealed for further insight into what you are concealing and/or revealing to others. Also consider the color of the apparel or item of clothing.
- Interpretations of the Clothing You Wear in a Dream
Wearing clothes that you would not normally wear in waking life or clothing that don’t fit you properly may suggest that you are putting on an act or show for others; you may be trying to be someone that you are not; it may be that you are not being true to yourself.
- Wearing clothes that are inappropriate for a situation may suggest that you are behaving inappropriately in a waking life situation; or you may be feeling uncomfortable or out of place in a waking life situation.
- Wearing clothing designed for the opposite sex may symbolize an acceptance of some characteristic or trait of the opposite sex within yourself and a willingness to let others see this aspect of yourself. A woman may be accepting an aspect of her Animus, such as being more assertive or confident; a man may be accepting an aspect of his Anima, such as compassion or being more emotional.
- Wearing clothing that is dirty or torn may symbolize feeling that your reputation has been damaged or stained.
- Meanings of Washing your Clothes
Doing your laundry may indicate you are trying to clean up your act or show a better side of yourself to others.
- May be a warning about airing your dirty laundry in public.
- Trying on or Changing Clothes Meanings
Changing your clothes may suggest that there is something about yourself that you need to change or you may be undergoing an inner change or a dealing with a change in your life. You may be seeing yourself differently or have a new outlook or way of being that you are trying to portray.
- Trying on new clothes may indicate you are undergoing an inner change or a change in your life and you are trying to figure out what “fits” or feels right.
- Meanings of Clothes in a Closet or Drawer
To see clothes in a closet or drawer may symbolize aspects of yourself that you have closed off or are hiding from others.
- To see clothes hanging on a hanger may suggest that you are undergoing changes and thinking of showing a new side of yourself to others; may also be suggesting that it’s time to “hang up” that look and try something new; may also be a reference to a “hang up” of yours or someone else’s.
- Meanings of Specific Articles of Clothing
Wearing or seeing a dress or skirt in a dream may symbolize your feminine aspects and how you are expressing your femininity to others. How much of your body the dress is covering up and/or revealing may symbolize how much of your natural feminine traits and sexuality you are revealing to others and/or how comfortable you feel about revealing these aspects to others.
- A shirt or blouse may represent how you are covering up your heart (emotions) and how much of your emotions you reveal to the outside world.
- Pants may represent how you express or cover up your sexuality.
- A neck tie may symbolize feeling constricted; you may be feeling strangled by an inability to express yourself.
- An overcoat may represent protection against others or may symbolize covering up your true self or emotions.
- Underwear may symbolize intimacy and the parts of yourself that you keep private: your secrets, desires, wishes, and sex life.
- Socks may symbolize comfort and ease; may symbolize having an easy time understanding something or someone.
These are some possible word puns and common idioms related to clothes that may or may not make sense in the context of your dream. You may think of others which can help you interpret your dream meaning.
- • Clothes may be a play on the word "close" or "closed".
- • A dress may be a pun on the word “address”.
- • Clothes make the man. (People judge you according to the way you dress.)
- • Sunday clothes (your best "church" outfit).
- • A wolf in sheep's clothing (a bad person pretending to be nice).
- • Give the shirt of your back (to give anything and everything you have to help someone).
- • Keep your shirt on! (Wait a minute!)
- • A stuffed shirt (someone who is very formal).
- • A smarty pants (someone who is always showing off how much he knows).
- • Caught with your pants down (taken by surprise).
- • Knock your socks off (surprise you).
- • Put a sock in it! (Be quiet!)
- • Sock someone (hit or punch someone).
- • Skirting something (avoiding something directly by going around it).
- • Are these clothes that I would normally wear in waking life?
- • Are the clothes appropriate to the situation in the dream?
- • Do they fit properly?
- • What are my associations to any colors or patterns in the clothing?